Monday, February 26, 2007

First Free Flight!

Finally on Sat, Jan 13th, 51 days off the trap I let Katana taste freedom! I must admit my nerves were out of control when she left the fist, untethered for the first time. It was even harder when she hesitated for a few minutes after I called her to the fist for the first time. But, she remembered. After looking around, she flew from the top of a tree where she was perched, back to me. After that, the entire hunt was uphill. She followed me around the field as if she were an old pro. Every time I called her to the fist she responded, and was rewarded with a tidbit. A whistle blow from across the field would bring her to another perch in front of us, as if she already knew we were there to help her hunt.
Aaron kicked up a rabbit about 45 minutes into the hunt, and she immediately took persuit. There was no hesitation at all, and she stooped out of the tree landing on top of the rabbit that had the misfortune of running beneath her. Unfortunately, according to Aaron, she hit the rabbit so hard that the two bounced up off the ground about a foot and she lost contact, allowing the rabbit freedom.
We had 4 more close pursuits through out the 2 hour hunt, none proving successful. She did give a good chase with each flush, and was amply rewarded with the lure at the conclusion of the hunt. Her lure response was a little weak, but will only improve in time.
I was told that it was unbelievable this was her first time out, and we all had a great time!!

No comments: