Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Little Scare

Well, I got off work yesterday and went over to Krys's house to pick up Katana. She was in the weathering area outside as I had asked Krys, the same weathering area she spent the weekend in while we were doing some work. When I arrived, she was bating like crazy. I went over to pick her up, and noticed that she was panting, she had stringy saliva coming out of her open mouth, and she seemed very weak on the fist. I immediately soaked her down with a water bottle and took her inside to cool. After she was thoroughly wet and was starting to calm, I took her home. It is about a 10 minute trip. When I got home and pulled her out of the box, she was drooping her wings, and panting even harder. It seemed that she could barely stand on the fist. I immediately soaked her again and took her inside to the perch in the living room. After turning the A/C on, I refilled her bath pan with cool water. Before I even had it halfway full, she was in it. I continued to fill it as she spent the next 10 minutes drinking. When she was done, she returned to the perch, and sat there mouth open, wings hanging. Needless to say, I was very concerned. Over the next few hours, I continued to keep her wet, and to spray water into her mouth until her disposition returned to normal. By the evening, she was back to her usual self, and I fed her a quail that I plucked for her, taking away all the casting material. It just goes to show that even the same situation (the weathering area) can cause different results, even in the small span of a few days. I will not put her in the weathering area again while it is hot, unless I can remain and supervise her. Fortunately, all is fine now, and I am glad I was able to get off work early yesterday.
However, when I entered the weathering area yesterday, I did find another surprise: HER FIRST TAIL FEATHER!!!!! YEA!!!!!

No comments: