Monday, October 6, 2008

Awesome weekend!

What a fantastic weekend! We started out hunting after work on Friday, and kept on going through til Sunday night. Noel and I are trying to find some new fields closer to work and along our carpool route, so that is what we did. The first field we went to had a very large pole right in the center. I was exstatic when Katana chose to perch there. I knew that if we kicked anything up not only would she see it, but the flight would be amazing. Alas, we were unable to produce any game, even with Deacon running around like he was on fire. Needless to say, it was HOT. We headed to the bar to have a brew and wait for the weather to cool. We hit one more new field on Friday, and came up again empty handed. She did follow well though, and her perch selection was good. 900 grams
Saturday, I took her to a couple of fields. She had some great chases, the cover is just really thick. She did come barreling out of a tree to grab a large rat, so she has officially taken her first head of game for the season. 890 grams
On Sunday, I flew her even longer. We hit 3 different fields and her following and perch selection is gradually getting better. She had some very close chases, as well as some really long ones. In the last field on the way to the car she stooped of a high pole to slam a rabbit. I heard the all too forgotten cries as I made my way towards her. Continuing my methods from last year, I did not run. Again the thought behind it is that she will never be able to handle a jack if she can't keep control of a cottontail. I am assuming that she was exhausted at this point, and unfortunately the rabbit got away just as I was nearing. Does not matter though, we had an excellent weekend and I look forward to flying her again. 895 grams

No comments: