Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Mistake

After cropping Katana up on Sunday, she should not have needed to eat until yesterday. That was true of last season anyway. I came home last night and weighed Katana, and I am ashamed to say that she was down to 850 grams. She has NEVER been that low, and I was scared. She was acting fine, very alert and still bated but nonetheless I was concerned. I imeediately perched her in the living room and fed her a plucked quail. I did not fully crop her up, but gave her about 100 grams. I left her in the living room for a bit after she ate, and she seemed to be doing fine. I put her in the box for the night to keep her calm, and it is also getting quite chilly in the evenings. I weighed her again this morning and she is up to 895 grams but I brought her to work anyway. She still had a little food in her crop, so I will feed her some more in a few hours. She is staying in the box until I get her weight back up, and then I will put her back in the mews. I learned a valuable lesson last night - never to take anything for granted. Her metabolism is obviously quicker than last season, and I must keep an eye on her weight more closey. Lesson learned, and thankfully everything worked out ok. Whew!

No comments: