Tuesday, October 9, 2007

And We're Off!!!

I picked up Belle from school today at 3:00 and headed to one of our favorite fields from last year. I know that I said I would fly her for the first time on Friday, but the weather was too beautiful to wait. She weighed the magic weight from yesterday - 1030g. I met Kurt at the field to help me out - just in case I lost her!! She immediately took to her favorite pole from last year and we began to beat below her. I must say, the cover is thick and terrible! I think that she self-hunted most of the time, as she did not follow well due to the fact that she was always fixated on something in the other direction. try as I may, I could not flush whatever she was staring at. We had four flights, and the last one yielded a rabbit. It was a very long flight, and I was surprised that she was successful as out of shape as she was. After 45 min. in the field, I transferred her off to a large reward and called it a day. I did not want to push her until she is back in shape. I cannot believe how good it felt, and how much I missed hunting. She is sitting in front of me right now, drinking from her bath pan, and whether she shows it or not, I know she is glad to be flying again. May this be the start of a GREAT season!!

No comments: