Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Another Lesson Learned

What a rotten day! I took Katana to 2 fields, and though her weight was dead-on and she followed great, we only saw 2 rabbits. The first one she flew hard but missed and the second kicked up when she was down on the ground.
At the end of the hunt, I always go to the car, put my beating stick up, and add a big chunk of meat to the lure. I do all this in the back of the SUV with the tailgate open. Today, as I did this, she was sitting in a tree on the other side of the field. I thought that I was blocking her view but I guess that I was wrong. Despite the fact that I have done this all season with no problem, today was the exception. As I was tying the piece of meat to the lure, I feel a quick gust of air and turned to see Katana leaving the area with the bag of tid bits and transfer pieces. Next thing I know, she was gone. This started my first solo telemetry chase and 10 minutes later I found her hunkered down in the tall grass. By this time she had eaten everything, and I can only assume this included the plastic baggie. When she spotted me she headed to a tree and I immediately called her to the garnished lure. I spoke to my sponsor and he said that she should cast up the baggie and be fine, but I will ask Krys's opinion when he wakes up in a few hours.
I learned the hard way not to take routine for granted, and Katana is much smarted than I give her credit for! Needless to say, this ended the hunt sooner than I planned and we walked away empty handed. At least I have my bird back....and a little piece of new wisdom!
45 rabbits, 5 snakes, 2 grasshoppers, 2 frogs, 10 mice, 9 rats, 1 crawfish

No comments: