Thursday, April 3, 2008

That time of the season

Well, it is getting hotter and the rabbits are getting scarce. Let me add that when I woke yesterday I checked on Katana and found a nice plastic casting. Luckily she has had no ill effects from Wednesday's escapade.
I took her out yesterday to 3 different fields and it was tough finding game. The first field gave us nothing. In the second field she took a rat from her perch atop a building. She was following really well, so when the first rabbit broke she was in position for hot pursuit. After a beautiful flight, she nailed it. We kept on hawking with a few more slips, but that was it. I then took her to another field that we have never tried. It was close to a good field, so I figured - what the hey? No only were there no rabbits to be found, but no sign either. We did flip some rocks and boards (on the hints given by the puppies :) and she ended up taken 4 rats and a mouse. Not a bad day, but I wish we could have found more rabbits.
Today we hit 2 different fields. The first one gave us nothing. Well, I take that back - no rabbits. She did leave the top of a 3 story building to take a large frog which I allowed her to eat. We hit one more quick field that gave us one slip. She got very close and was in great position, but got hung up in the brush as the rabbit got away.
The end of the season is near - game is scarce and it is getting to hot to hunt. Sunday will be her last day before the molt, and I will fly her a bunch this weekend.
46 rabbits, 5 snakes, 2 grasshoppers, 3 frogs, 11 mice, 13 rats, 1 crawfish

No comments: