Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Forever Soaring


I received the call I have been dreading last night. Dr. Moore kindly went in on his evening off to check on Katana and run some more x-rays. Needless to say, it was Asper and it had taken hold of her pretty badly. By the end of the day she was down to 760 grams and now regurgitating her food. He told me that she was not going to make it, but merely die slowly. I made the very difficult decision to have her put to sleep. I just could not stand to think of her suffering anymore. He assures me that she went peacefully. It still does not make it any easier. I know that we are not supposed to bond with our birds like I have, but I just could not help it. She was an amazing bird. Her artistic aerial flights were unmatched. I will miss her talking to me as I enter the mews. I will miss sitting and watching her preen after a long day of hunting. She will forever remain in my heart and be missed forever.

No comments: