Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Awesome Day!

I took Katana out to a new field today, recommended by a fellow falconer. The field consists mainly of tall grass and huge brush and trash piles. It was hard to get rabbits out of them, but I did get a few good slips. I have started noticing that Katana has a difficult time with the wide open slips, but does great when she has to crash brush. Needless to say, she missed a couple of open ones, but had an awesome stoop into thick brush to catch her first bunny. I transferred her off and we started working our way to the car. She is following well, and flying hard at everything we kick up. Under a board Krys found a rat that she immediately grabbed for her second kill of the day.
We headed across the road to another field. I try to fly her long and hard at least once a week, and today was the day. Again, she missed some wide open flights but eventually came down on a frog. Third for the day! She started eating it, but I could tell she did not like it as she was flicking more than eating. I transferred her off and away we went. She got back on a really high pole and then came soaring to the ground. I was sure that she had nothing but when she did not get back up I went over to find her on a full dead bunny. Another transfer, but I am not counting it. Put her up one last time, and she took off on a long flight followed by a beautiful stoop on her second bunny of the day. Four head of game! YAHOO! I fed her up on the kill and we called it a day. I have started letting her handle herself on the rabbits, and I am not running Mach 3 to get to her anymore. After all, if she can't control a cottontail, she will never get used to hanging on to a jack. She had both bunnies by the head today, and in perfect control. I flew her for 2 1/2 hours today, and it is flights like this that make falconry truly spectacular. Taking game also helps!
29 rabbits, 3 snakes, 2 grasshoppers, 2 frogs, 2 mice, 3 rats, 1 crawfish

No comments: