Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'll perch where I want to, thank you

I had planned on hunting all week long over Spring Break, but Mother Nature decided not to cooperate. On Monday, it was very windy and after flying Katana so hard on Sunday I decided not to hunt her. Tuesday....it poured to say the very least. I did take her out on Wednesday, and the nice soggy ground made for muddy hunting. She did catch herself another snake though...yea.
Today I had the whole day to hunt, so I hunted her until she could not take a decent perch. I started in a field that is thick with rabbits, one I had not hunted her in before. There we no trees to perch in, only light poles. Katana said, "Nope." She decided that she would rather perch on the ground than to get on the light poles, which is a shame because we busted tons of rabbits. She did have some flights off the fist, but the cover was so thick that she did not stand a chance with out the height advantage the light poles would have yielded her. Sigh. That is my girl, stubborn as ever. I took her to another field and she had 2 fantastic brush crashing kills through the trees to add 2 more rabbits to her total. She also gracefully swooped down to scoop up a mouse that she promptly ate. How rude. I flew her for about 3 hours today, and she remained steadfast until the end, even as the wind grew stronger. I fed her up nicely, and she is sleeping in the mew now satisfied with her baseball sized crop. I have to go paint some rooms in a friends house tomorrow, so we will hunt again on Saturday.
35 rabbits, 5 snakes, 2 grasshoppers, 2 frogs, 3 mice, 3 rats, 1 crawfish

No comments: