Saturday, March 22, 2008

Getting Hotter

I took Katana for a quick hunt yesterday, even though her weight was a little high. She had some great flights but did not connect, and her following was definitely a little poor due to the higher weight. It was a quick hunt just before dark but I was able to at least get her out for some exercise.
Today we met early and flew Krys's Harris' Hawk. After he left to go to sleep (he worked last night) Noel and I took Katana to 3 fields. In the first field she did well, but was getting dive bombed by 4 crows in the area. She had some strong flights, but the crows were relentless and refused to leave her alone so we moved on. In the next field, we did not see much. I turned my back at one point and when I looked up she was gone. I found her on the ground close to the perch she was on atop a large half-eaten rat. I transfered her off and we kept going. Noel flushed a rabbit that she chased and pulled off as it put in under a tree. She did get in on the reflush although I did not see the flight as I was on the other side of the tree. I put her up for a bit to hunt Noel's bird, and then closer to dark we hunted one last field. The field was super thick to the point that she did not stand a chance on any rabbit that was flushed. She flew very hard and despite not having bells on I always knew where she was by the distinct crash she made on every flight. I called her in to the lure and fed her and then we called it a day. Tomorrow we will go out looking for the Easter Bunny!

36 rabbits, 5 snakes, 2 grasshoppers, 2 frogs, 3 mice, 4 rats, 1 crawfish

No comments: