Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Best Flight of the Season

WOW!! Is all I can say. I took Katana to a field that we have not hunted much this year with thick cover and rough terrain. We started out not kicking much up, but had the occasional brush crash at unknown prey (probably rabbit). Today was very windy, weather guy said gusts up to 25 mph but I knew Katana was strong and could take it. The first rabbit that she got got away, probably due to dull talons which I sharpened tonight. The second was was the most spectacular flight I have ever seen her do. She was following great and taking some super perches. Upon moving up in the field she caught the wind and began to soar overhead of us. She has done this a few times before, but I have never been able to kick up any game for her when she is soaring. Today was different. Krys and I started running like crazy while she was overhead. I hear Krys yell, "ho, Ho, HO!!" and immediately turned around just in time to see Katana about 100 feet overhead fold up and barrel straight down. She crashed right in front of Krys who immediately started yelling, "Yes! Did you see that?!?!" YES!" She had gotten the rabbit. I think at this point I was still standing there with my jaw dropped. It was a perfect tear drop right onto the rabbit. There are really no words that I can use to give it justice, but I am sure she is not the only red tail to do this and for those who have seen it - WOW. I transferred her off and we started walking back to the car. She had another awesome brush crashing flight on the way to snag rabbit number 2 for the day. Today was one of those great hawking firsts that remain with you forever. I hope to get her soar hawking more often for her awesome power when she dives is what falconry is all about.
41 rabbits, 5 snakes, 2 grasshoppers, 2 frogs, 4 mice, 4 rats, 1 crawfish

No comments: