Tuesday, March 13, 2007

First Triple

Tip of the day: The Deep End (movie) is 2 hours of your life you can never get back. NEVER!

I took the Kat out today. It was 11:15 am and her weight was 970 grams. It had rained all night and was still overcast. The temps were barely in the 70s and all looked good for a couple of hours of hawking. We drove to a field a mere 3 miles from the house. Boy hawking in this area is rough; so far to drive. It was a field we had not hit in a couple of days, but usually is good for a handful of slips and there are 3 other good spots within waking distance. I pulled the truck right up to the first brush pile and set the bird loose. I hit the pile once and out popped 2 bunnies. Kat flew one but missed. I saw that it put into the next brush pile, but Kat was already back up o her perch so I kept working the first. Another bunny popped out and was not as fortunate as the first 2. I transferred Katana off the bunny and tried to put her back up. Instead she flew down and ate all the remaining rabbit fur off the ground first. Up to the perch she went and we were back in business. I hit the same pile a couple of more times before moving on to the next. At the next brush pile I got the previously flushed rabbit moving. I quickly had Kat's attention. She flew down, missed, ran along the ground and damn near ran it down, but in the end the rabbit went back into the same brush pile. I began poking around the pole and flushed a rat that Katana came down off the pole after, but just missed. She hopped up to the top of the brush pile and seconds later the rabbit flushed. She nailed it before it got 5 feet from the pile. I cut off a small piece and transferred her again. We had only been hunting about 15 minutes. Back up she went and we kept working. We got a couple more slips but no luck on them. I hit a brush pile that produced about 10 voles and Katana did get one of those. She finished that off in one bite. We ended with a couple more slips, but no more in the bag. Kylie had been wondering if Kat would even go for rats, and I think today we proved that she would. It was not a bunny triple, but a triple none the less. Kills #12,13,and 14.

No comments: