Thursday, March 22, 2007

She is a machine!!

"Listen. And understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead. " The Terminator, 1984

Another great day of hunting. I don't know where to start. Each day I hunt with Katana, I am more in awe of her performance. When I loaded Katana into the car, she was 900 grams. This is a low weight for her, so I fed her 30 grams before we left. Aaron and I took Veruka out and flew her first. After a rocky start with her season, we found the perfect weight for Veruka. We worked an area that looked really good, a little rough but a lot of rabbit sign. After an hour and a half, we had kicked up nothing. Veruka never faltered. She took high perches, followed closely, responded to the game call...she was perfect. So perfect, that she chased something a long way and we lost her. We searched the area we thought she went down to no avail. Krys was on his way to meet us and he stopped to grab the receiver. As he is pulling in to park he called, Veruka was in a tree close by. A sign of relief, Aaron called her to the lure and after 2 hours ended the hunt. If she responds this well on Saturday, I know a lot of squirrels in trouble.... :)

When looking for Veruka, we stumbled upon an area next to a frequently hunted field we had never been to before. I saw rabbits sitting there looking at me! This is where we hunted Katana. I could not even begin to speculate the number of flushes or flights she took, they were too numerous to count. It was another windy day, and with her a little low I didn't think I would be able to hunt her long before she tired. I was wrong. The field was filled with perfectly spaced briar patches, surrounded by open area. Katana has figured out the game, and our purpose. She followed VERY closely, jumping in trees higher and higher to find the best perch. She was in perfect position for 95% of the flushes, the other times it was because she had just finished a longer chase. Her persistence was amazing, it took her no time to recover from a missed attempt before she was back in the tree looking to us for the reflush. Over and over, briar patch to briar patch, flight after flight, "She is a machine!" Both Aaron and Krys kept saying these words as we ran around the field flushing rabbits, "she is a machine!" The wind was definitely a factor in a lot of the missed flights, as well as the deep cover when the rabbit made it to another briar patch. Katana took one rabbit out of the field, but her persistence is what makes her great. We flew for an hour and a half, and her weight never really affected her flight at all. I am definitely taking her back to the field this weekend when she is in her ideal weight range, and am expecting great things from her when I do.

This is the 11th consecutive hunt Katana has taken game, bringing her total for the season to 29 head of game, with 22 rabbits. This weekend we are going to a pecan orchard to hunt squirrels, and I am excited to see how she does. What a great season!! Why does it have to end...

No comments: