Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Hunting 3/3 - 3/5


Well, I must say that we had a very eventful weekend, not all good unfortuately.

On Saturday, we all set out and started the day flying Katana. It was pretty windy, and I believe it affected the birds quite a bit because the fields yielded no game taken. Her weight was 955, and she followed beautifully. her fist response remains awesome, and while she entertained us with 7 magnificant flights, we walked away empty handed.
At the end of the day, Krys and I picked up my sponser, Roger, and flew a field by his house. Though we had seen rabbits there in the past, we were unable to put any game under her, though she continued her tradition of following closely.

On Sunday, due to an error in weight management, she flew last. At the end of the day she was 977, and flew fantastically. I was unable to fly her for more than 20 min, because our trucks were broken into. We came back from hunting Cheyne's bird to find the windows broken out of Aaron and Krys's trucks, and quite a bit missing. By the time we finished with the police it was almost dark. She did fly after 3 rabbits, but no such luck.

On Monday I flew Katana for 2 1/2 hours. At 945 grams, her response was great, but I think that her flights could have been a little stronger. We had about 11 chases, but the rabbits kept putting up into thick brush and she just couldn't quite get them. She definately has learned the benefit of staying close, and watched me kick up and reflush over half of the rabbits. Her performance this weekend was fantastic, and I am sure that her next kill is right around the corner!

No comments: