Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Number 18!!

Well, Katana and I set out on this muggy, humid day for a little hunting. 10 minutes into the field I kicked up a rabbit that she pursued three times. On the third, I heard the all to familiar screams. I was running to make in and they stopped. I guess she didn't have it tight enough to hold on. For the next hour we had six more flights, and it was obvious that she was now wet as her wings were drooping when she was perched. On flight number 8, she stooped of a pole and crashed the rabbit. Again, I heard screaming. A little closer this time, as she only pursued this rabbit once, I ran to make in, and again the rabbit was gone. Now I am frustrated. We start to work our way across the field to the car and about twenty minutes later, I see her dive. Before she even crashes, I am inbound. Reaching her after she grabs the rabbit, I make in. She has one foot on its head, and the other wrapped around it's back leg. I do not think that she would have been able to hold it for long. I transferred her off and we ended the day.
Last week when I inspected her talons they seemed fine, now I think that they are a little dull. I definitely see a nail appointment for my little girl scheduled prior to the next hunt. Even so, it was a great day! She flew at 985 grams.

No comments: