Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Things that grow exponentially

I headed out with the Kat this morning.. We hit a field on 377 just north of 820. I knew it would be good for game due to the briars that grew in the area. I started the long walk to the best parts of the field, working along the way. I kicked up a couple of rabbits, but Katana did not score on either of them. I crested the hill and crossed the tracks to the briar patch. Katana was waiting in a tree above me overlooking a massive amount of land. The great thing is its all down hill and she had a commanding perch no matter where a bunny appeared. As soon as I stepped into the briars Katana slammed the ground next to me HARD. I did not hear a thing. She started mantling and I knew she had something. I made in and took a baby rabbit from her. I went to put the rabbit in the game bag, and noticed something was wrong. There was no head. After a search of the area where the kill took place I found the missing head. Apparently she had hit so hard that she popped the head clean off the baby rabbit. This was also what I was trying to avoid by hitting a different field, but I guess it's just that time of year. It's a good thing that Kylie is planning on putting Katana up for the molt soon. I know how hard of a decision it is for her. This weekend we will try our hand at some squirrel hawking in an effort to avoid the babies and preggers rabbits. Anyway we continued working through the briars kicking up a few as we went along. Now all I was seeing was adults, but they were wise and used the rapidly growing cover to their advantage. One bunny simply sidestepped Katana as she slammed down and sat in the briars about 3 feet from her. Kat used the wind to lift her about 5 or 6 feet in the air and slammed down again, but to no avail. This bunny was too sly and slipped out under the cover of the briars. Kat got back up and took yet another commanding perch. As I worked toward the end of the briars a rabbit slipped into the open and made for the cover about 200 yards on the other side of the clearing near the oil well. Kat was after it in a heart beat. The thing she had going for her was the rabbit was running with the wind. With every leap the rabbit took Katana was closing the gap. I thought there is simply too much open ground for this rabbit to escape. Katana slammed the ground and a saw a rabbit run off and make it to the cover. I thought for sure she would get that one. I started walking to her and she started hopping to the brush dragging something with her. She got it after all! The bunny that ran for the cover must have been flushed by all the commotion. We started walking/hunting back to the truck, but Katana stopped following. I got to the top of the hill and had to lure her in, since she was on a low perch and would not be able to see me on the other side. We walked back to the truck and finished the day. Come to think of it Goose had the same problem as Katana. Once we got to one side of a field it was VERY difficult to get her to change directions. I usually had to lure her in once I got back to the truck. She started following much better a few weeks into her second season, so I hope Katana eventually gets the hang of it. We scored # 27 and 28 today. Only 14 short days ago the Kat only had 8 head of game. #9 came on March 7th. Since then she has more than tripled her head count! She has caught fire here lately. She gets out and flys almost every day. She's on an incredible streak of 10 hunts in a row with at least one head of game, including a quintuple...something I have never done with a redtail. But Kylie my dear I have taken 18 head of game in one day with the Dog.

No comments: