Saturday, March 17, 2007

Snakes! Why does it always have to be snakes?

"Snakes! Why does it always have to be snakes?" - Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981

I took the Kat out hunting today after work. Daylight savings time is great. Katana took off for the higher perch of the metal power towers. I worked the reeds in the swampy area and below it. We had a few excellent flights, but no success. The residents showed up as I was working the field with Katana up high o the tower. I did not kick up anything out there. the resident pair showed up and harassed Katana relentlessly. Katana was chirping at them. They finally left and I headed back to the truck. Kat came over and landed on a nearby power pole. I started flipping boards hoping for a wide open bunny slip. Instead I found a Texas Rat Snake and Kat to saw it. She glided down nonchalantly and landed next to the snake. She took a moment to size it up before grabbing it. It was not too big so I let her eat it and called it a day. This is the 7th hunt in a row that we have not left the fled empty handed. In the last week Kat has more than doubled her head count. She's a blast to watch. It's too bad the season is drawing to a close. I have high expectations of this bird next year. The way she watches the field she should eclipse Goose's second year total fairly easily.

No comments: